Descendants of Fernando Baker
Generation No. 1
1. Fernando1 Baker was born 04 Dec 1860 in Ohio, and died 1938 in Port Gibson, Claiborne, Mississippi. He married Nancy Elizabeth Young 17 Oct 1891 in Pemiscot Co., Missouri..
Notes for Fernando Baker:
Hester Qualls, grandson of Fernando Baker says he remembers that his grand dad died on a river boat and his grandmother drown at Grand Gulf, MS. He was around seven at the time.
Notes on Fernando Baker and his family was information given to Polly Marie (Wrenn) Witherspoon, his granddaughter.
A family bible was in possesion of Jessie Qualls, Sr. Hester Qualls now lives in the house in Port Gibson, MS, and everything in the home.
On Feb. 4, 2000, I went to the Port Gibson, MS, County Claiborne Courthouse to search land deeds and wills. Apparently, Fernando never owned land in Claiborne County. The theory is if his family lived on a houseboat, no census records and/or land deeds may be found. The courthouse house suggested contacting Jackson, MS, for a death certificate.
Notes for Nancy Elizabeth Young:
Drowned in Grand Gulf per Hester Qualls, grandson.
Children of Fernando Baker and Nancy Young are:
+ 2 i. Mary Mageline2 Baker, born 19 Nov 1892 in Gibson Landing, Louisiana; died 23 Nov 1967.
+ 3 ii. Rosie Viola Baker, born 12 Aug 1901; died 08 Mar 1953 in Vicksburg, Miss.
4 iii. Frank Baker, born 10 Apr 1906 in St. Joseph, Tensas, Louisiana; died 03 Jan 1955 in Rolling Fork, Mississippi. He married Deanie Russum 18 Sep 1937 in Port Gibson, Mississippi.
+ 5 iv. Myrtle Rose Baker, born 30 Aug 1909; died 30 Mar 1967.
+ 6 v. Martha Mae Baker, born 11 Nov 1911 in Gibson, Terrebonne (Corcindin), Lousisana; died 30 May 1991 in Avon, Washington, Mississippi.
+ 7 vi. John Alvin Baker, born 10 Sep 1918 in Winter Quarters, Louisiana; died 1968.
Generation No. 2
2. Mary Mageline2 Baker (Fernando1) was born 19 Nov 1892 in Gibson Landing, Louisiana, and died 23 Nov 1967. She married John Lee Martin.
Notes for Mary Mageline Baker:
On Feb 4, 2000, while visiting the Wintergreen Cem. located in Port Gibson, MS, I met the caretaker of the cemetery, Albert Trime. He knew the Qualls personally and remembered stories about the family. He mentioned that the Bakers lived on a houseboat off the Mississippi River (confirmed by Polly Wrenn Witherspoon) and he related the following information about Maggie Baker Martin:
She dipped snuff. She also had a hexagon barrled 22 rifle and she could shoot a squirrel out of a tree from 100 yards.
Polly Wrenn Witherspoon remembers that she wore long black dresses and a black hat.
Notes for John Lee Martin:
John, Sr. drowned in the Mississippi River and his body was never recovered. He could not be buried beside his wife. They lived on a houseboat.
Child of Mary Baker and John Martin is:
8 i. John Lee3 Martin , Jr., born 05 Nov 1921 in Miss; died 29 Jul 1951 in Port Gibson, Mississippi. He married Laura Russum.
Notes for John Lee Martin , Jr.:
John, Jr. served in WWII and the Korean War. He died in an automobile accident.
His tombstone reads:
John L. Martin
CPL 5 Calvary
1 Calvary Div
World War II
November 5, 1921
July 29, 1951
He is buried beside his mother, Maggie "Baker" Martin.
3. Rosie Viola2 Baker (Fernando1) was born 12 Aug 1901, and died 08 Mar 1953 in Vicksburg, Miss. She married (1) William Horn. She married (2) Wesley Qualls 14 May 1938, son of John W. Qualls.
Notes for Rosie Viola Baker:
Rosie is buried beside her husband, Wesley Qualls, in the Wintergreen Cem., Port Gibson, MS. Her tombstone reads:
Rosie Viola Qualls
Aug 12 1901
Mar 8 1953
"She has gone to the Mansions of rest"
Notes for Wesley Qualls:
Apr 24, 1907
Nov 9 1976
Children of Rosie Baker and William Horn are:
9 i. Myrtle Mae3 Horn.
+ 10 ii. William James Horn, born 07 Mar 1926 in Highbreds, Kentucky.
5. Myrtle Rose2 Baker (Fernando1) was born 30 Aug 1909, and died 30 Mar 1967. She married Jessie Qualls, son of John W. Qualls.
Notes for Jessie Qualls:
Jessie Qualls, Sr.
Feb 16, 1907
Dec 30, 1979
Children of Myrtle Baker and Jessie Qualls are:
11 i. Jessie3 Qualls , Jr., born 24 Apr 1929 in St. Joseph, Louisiana.
12 ii. Hester Qualls, born 07 Oct 1930. He married Mary.
13 iii. Oma Ruth Qualls, born 20 Aug 1936 in Natchez, Adams, Mississippi; died Deceased.
Notes for Oma Ruth Qualls:
Oma had health problems for most of her life. Albert Trime of Port Gibson, MS, went to school with her and Jimmy.
14 iv. Tommy L. Qualls, born 28 Aug 1939 in Grand Gulf, Mississippi.
Notes for Tommy L. Qualls:
Tommy is living in Vicksburg, Mississippi. He was a crippling arthritis.
15 v. Jimmy Qualls, born 02 Jun 1943 in Port Gibson, Mississippi.
6. Martha Mae2 Baker (Fernando1) was born 11 Nov 1911 in Gibson, Terrebonne (Corcindin), Lousisana, and died 30 May 1991 in Avon, Washington, Mississippi. She married Willie Alexander Wrenn 21 Jun 1929 in St. Joseph, Tensas, Louisiana, son of Albert Wrenn and Dannie Stevens.
Notes for Willie Alexander Wrenn:
Willie was a tug boat pilot. He also, had a fish market where he sold fish and other water animals.
Marriage Notes for Martha Baker and Willie Wrenn:
Certificate of Marriage, State of Louisiana - Tensas Parish.
Newspaper clipping - Delta Democrat Times - Dec. 27, 1967
Children of Martha Baker and Willie Wrenn are:
+ 16 i. Sarah Bell3 Wrenn, born 07 Jul 1930 in Natchez, Adams, Mississippi.
+ 17 ii. Willie Alexander Wrenn , Jr., born 21 Nov 1932 in Rodney, Jefferson, Miss; died 02 Jun 1995 in Greenville, Washington, Mississippi.
+ 18 iii. Ollie Mae Evelyn Wrenn, born 21 Jun 1935 in Natchez, Adams, Miss.
+ 19 iv. Baby Letsy Wrenn, born 22 Jun 1938 in Port Gibson, Claiborne, Miss.
+ 20 v. Joyce Madeline Wrenn, born 02 Aug 1943 in Vicksburg, Warren, Miss.
+ 21 vi. Polly Marie Wrenn, born 01 Mar 1947 in Pettit (Avon), Washington, Mississippi.
7. John Alvin2 Baker (Fernando1) was born 10 Sep 1918 in Winter Quarters, Louisiana, and died 1968. He married (1) Kate. He married (2) Lucille Kukn. He married (3) Helen Joyce Whorton 09 Jul 1949 in Greenville, Mississippi, daughter of Dewit Whorton and Claudia Thompson.
Children of John Baker and Kate are:
22 i. Cynthia3 Baker.
23 ii. Rose Baker.
24 iii. Penny Baker.
Children of John Baker and Helen Whorton are:
25 i. Butch3 Baker.
26 ii. Nancy Myrtle Baker, born 03 May 1950 in Arcola, Washington, Mississippi.
Generation No. 3
10. William James3 Horn (Rosie Viola2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 07 Mar 1926 in Highbreds, Kentucky. He married Virgie Mae Gladjo.
Children of William Horn and Virgie Gladjo are:
27 i. William James4 Horn , Jr., born in Miss.
28 ii. Gloria Horn, born in Miss.
29 iii. Nancy Horn, born in Miss.
16. Sarah Bell3 Wrenn (Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 07 Jul 1930 in Natchez, Adams, Mississippi. She married Thomas Grover Harris 29 May 1950 in Avon (Pettit), Wash., Miss., son of Theo Harris and Mattie Oliver.
Children of Sarah Wrenn and Thomas Harris are:
+ 30 i. Thomas Grover4 Harris, born 07 Oct 1951 in Arcola, Wash., Miss..
+ 31 ii. James Jay Harris, born 20 May 1954 in Greenville, Wash., Miss..
+ 32 iii. Cheryl Lea Harris, born 04 Dec 1957 in Arcola, Wash., Miss..
17. Willie Alexander3 Wrenn , Jr. (Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 21 Nov 1932 in Rodney, Jefferson, Miss1, and died 02 Jun 1995 in Greenville, Washington, Mississippi. He married (1) Lois. He married (2) Pat. He married (3) Mary Francis Simms 29 Apr 1955.
Notes for Willie Alexander Wrenn , Jr.:
Willie was killed in a head-on collision car accident.
His gravesite was dedicated by Michael Witherspoon, his nephew.
Children of Willie Wrenn and Lois are:
33 i. Johnny4 Wrenn.
34 ii. Sharon Wrenn.
Child of Willie Wrenn and Pat is:
35 i. Danny4 Wrenn.
Child of Willie Wrenn and Mary Simms is:
+ 36 i. William4 Wrenn.
18. Ollie Mae Evelyn3 Wrenn (Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 21 Jun 1935 in Natchez, Adams, Miss. She married (1) Tommy Everett. She married (2) Cleon McAlpine 01 Aug 1954 in Greenville, Mississippi, son of Cleon McAlpine.
Children of Ollie Wrenn and Tommy Everett are:
37 i. Robert4 Everett.
38 ii. Leslie Everett.
Children of Ollie Wrenn and Cleon McAlpine are:
39 i. Frank Curry4 McAlpine, born 06 Nov 1955 in Greenville, Miss. He married Allise Evans 1973.
40 ii. Catherine Ann McAlpine, born 03 Dec 1959 in Dallas, Texas.
41 iii. Steven Monroe McAlpine, born 19 Mar 1961 in Dallas, Texas.
42 iv. Wendy Darlene McAlpine, born 21 Jan 1967 in Hollandale, Miss.
19. Baby Letsy3 Wrenn (Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 22 Jun 1938 in Port Gibson, Claiborne, Miss. She married John Huron Starr 28 Sep 1956 in Dallas, Dallas, Texas.
Children of Baby Wrenn and John Starr are:
43 i. David4 Starr, born in Athens, Texas.
44 ii. Joel Starr.
45 iii. Robin Starr, born in Athens, Texas.
46 iv. Terry Ann Starr, born 29 Jul 1957 in Athens, Texas.
47 v. Janeth Lea Starr, born 26 Apr 1959 in Athens, Texas.
48 vi. John Mark Starr, born 17 Feb 1961 in Athens, Texas.
49 vii. Steven Starr, born 25 Dec 1972 in Athens, Texas.
20. Joyce Madeline3 Wrenn (Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 02 Aug 1943 in Vicksburg, Warren, Miss. She married James Lonnie Creel 28 Sep 1960.
Children of Joyce Wrenn and James Creel are:
50 i. Londa4 Creel.
51 ii. Sherry Creel.
21. Polly Marie3 Wrenn (Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 01 Mar 1947 in Pettit (Avon), Washington, Mississippi. She married John Arthur Witherspoon 22 Oct 1965 in Greenville, Washington, MS, son of Theodore Witherspoon and Alice Melton.
Notes for Polly Marie Wrenn:
Polly Marie Wrenn was the last born child of Willie Alexander Wrenn and Martha Mae Baker. A family of five girls and one boy. Polly grew up in Avon, MS. She graduated from Riverside High School, where she also attended school since first grade. Her interested in school was basketball and cheerleading.
She married John Arthur Witherspoon in October 1965. They resided in Swiftwater, MS, where John's father (as a wedding gift) gave them a small piece of land. They had a house moved to the site and lived there for over ten years.
Polly worked for a cotton gin in Avon, MS, for many years. After moving to Lake Charles, LA, she did not work outside the home until August 1984. Then she worked as custodian for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which she has been a member since an infant. As a fact, her grandparents, Albert Joseph Wrenn and Dannie Adelia Stevens, became members during the 1900's.
Notes for John Arthur Witherspoon:
The third child of Theodore Roosevelt Witherspoon and Alice Ruth Melton, John Witherspoon was born in Greenville, MS, and lived as a boy in Swiftwater, MS, outside of Greenville. He went to Riverside High School during his senior year and met Polly Wrenn. He joined the Mississippi National Guard after junior college taking Auto Mechanics. During his time in the Guard, he was a tank mechanic and served during the Camille hurricane in 1969, in Biloxi, MS. Also, during his time in the Guard, he started working as an apprentice machinist, which later became his lifelong career.
John and wife of 33 years, Polly Marie Wrenn, have four children: Michael, Joseph, Stacy, and Melissa (in that order). As of 19-March-1999, they have five grandchildren and one due at the end of the year. They lived in Greenville, MS, until 1976, when they moved their (at that time) three children to Lake Charles, LA. The reason for the move was a machinist job working for Earl Thrift at Thrift's Ship Building in Carlys, LA.
Children of Polly Wrenn and John Witherspoon are:
+ 52 i. Michael Arthur4 Witherspoon, born 13 Jun 1968 in Greenville, Washington, Mississippi.
+ 53 ii. Joseph Andrew Witherspoon, born 26 Jun 1970 in Greenville, Washington, MS.
+ 54 iii. Stacy Christine Witherspoon, born 06 Jan 1972 in Greenville, Washington, Mississippi.
55 iv. Melissa Marie Witherspoon, born 27 Apr 1978 in Lake Charles, Calcasieu, LA.
Generation No. 4
30. Thomas Grover4 Harris (Sarah Bell3 Wrenn, Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 07 Oct 1951 in Arcola, Wash., Miss.. He married Leia Beth Coursey 23 Oct 1975 in Berlin, Germany, daughter of Leborn Coursey and Jeanette Pryor.
Children of Thomas Harris and Leia Coursey are:
56 i. Shannon Patrick5 Harris, born 21 Dec 1976 in Berlin, Germany; died 19 Apr 1980.
57 ii. Erin Lindsay Harris, born 17 Jul 1982 in Savannah, Chatham, Georgia.
31. James Jay4 Harris (Sarah Bell3 Wrenn, Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 20 May 1954 in Greenville, Wash., Miss.. He married (1) Rhonda Dawn Gore in Popular Bluff, Butler, Missouri. He married (2) Molly Darlene Wilson 02 Apr 1972 in Malden, Dunklin, Missouri.
Children of James Harris and Molly Wilson are:
58 i. Paul Thomas5 Harris, born 02 Jun 1973 in Kennett, Dunklin, Missouri.
59 ii. Jaimee Sue Harris, born 03 Dec 1974 in Kennett, Dunklin, Missouri.
60 iii. Christina Michele Harris, born 16 Mar 1978 in Poplar Bluff, Butler, Missouri.
32. Cheryl Lea4 Harris (Sarah Bell3 Wrenn, Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 04 Dec 1957 in Arcola, Wash., Miss.. She married Bruce Alan Cooper 21 Dec 1975 in Malden, Dunklin, Missouri, son of Howard Cooper and Glenda Isaac.
Children of Cheryl Harris and Bruce Cooper are:
61 i. Glenda Saralyne5 Cooper, born 23 Oct 1977 in Kennett, Dunklin, Missouri.
62 ii. Bruce Alan Cooper, born 05 Mar 1980 in Kennett, Dunklin, Missouri.
36. William4 Wrenn (Willie Alexander3, Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1). He married Melissa.
Child of William Wrenn and Melissa is:
63 i. William5 Wrenn.
52. Michael Arthur4 Witherspoon (Polly Marie3 Wrenn, Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 13 Jun 1968 in Greenville, Washington, Mississippi. He married Candie Ann Marie Sims2 07 Oct 1993 in Dallas, Dallas County, Texas, daughter of Hubert Sims and Deborah Ward.
Notes for Michael Arthur Witherspoon:
Michael currrently lives in Lake Charles, Louisiana, with his family.
Marriage Notes for Michael Witherspoon and Candie Sims:
Marriage license on record in Jasper County Court House (Jasper, TX).
Child of Michael Witherspoon and Candie Sims is:
64 i. Sarah Michelle5 Witherspoon, born 23 Oct 1994 in Lake Charles, Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana.
53. Joseph Andrew4 Witherspoon (Polly Marie3 Wrenn, Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 26 Jun 1970 in Greenville, Washington, MS. He married Bonnie Jean McClain 06 Mar 1993 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Children of Joseph Witherspoon and Bonnie McClain are:
65 i. Ashley Marie5 Witherspoon, born 05 Feb 1995 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
66 ii. Elora Belle Witherspoon, born 18 Nov 1996 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
67 iii. Michelle LeReine Witherspoon, born 22 Nov 1998.
54. Stacy Christine4 Witherspoon (Polly Marie3 Wrenn, Martha Mae2 Baker, Fernando1) was born 06 Jan 1972 in Greenville, Washington, Mississippi. She married Christopher Allan Lyons 12 Sep 1992 in Lake Charles, Calcasieu, Louisiana, son of Joseph Benoit and Constance Lyons.
Children of Stacy Witherspoon and Christopher Lyons are:
68 i. Christopher Allan5 Lyons II, born 03 Oct 1995 in Lake Charles, Calcasieu, Louisiana.
69 ii. Morgan Christine Lyons, born 17 Sep 1999 in Lake Charles, Calcasieu, Louisiana.
1. Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 23, 1997, Internal Ref. #22.214.171.124234.66
2. Candie Sims Witherspoon <email@example.com>.